Easter Sunday is one the most important day in Christianity since it commemorates the day on which Jesus has resurrected from the dead after dying on the cross by crucifixion, 3 days before, and by that showing the world that he, Jesus Christ, is the true son of God. In Western Christianity, Easter Marks the end of lent, a 40 day period of fasting, repentance, moderation and spiritual discipline in preparation for Easter.
The last week ending the lent is also called “Holy Week” and it includes several major celebrations marking different events during this week, thus being considered to be the most desirable time in the year for Christians all over the world to come to Jerusalem on a pilgrimage and to celebrate these days where it all happened.
For people who cannot visit Jerusalem during Holy Week and Easter, can now login to this category – Easter in Jerusalem where I am posting same day Videos from all major celebrations of Easter and holy week in Jerusalem, and by that Christians all over the world can feel this excitement as if they are actually celebrating Easter here in Jerusalem.
Here are the major ceremonies that are posted in this category during Easter and holy week. We also include some videos from Last year celebrations here in Jerusalem:
• Palm Sunday that commemorates the triumphal entrance of Jesus into Jerusalem and being celebrated on Sunday before Good Friday thus marks the beginning of the final week of Lent
• Holy Thursday that commemorates the Last Supper of Jesus with his disciples and the day of his arrestment
• Good Friday that commemorates the Passion and death of Jesus by Crucifixion.
• Holy Saturday that commemorates the day on which Jesus’ body was laid in the Tomb.
• Easter Sunday that commemorates the Resurrection of Jesus from the dead, celebrated at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre and the Garden Tomb.
• And Easter Monday at Emmaus when resurrected Jesus appeared outside Jerusalem before two of his disciples and breaking the bread with them in Emmaus (some believe it is at Emmaus near Latrun).