Garden Tomb Jerusalem
The Garden Tomb of Jesus (also known as Gordon’s Calvary), is located in Jerusalem, outside the city walls and close to the Damascus Gate.
In 1883, General Charles George Gordon, a British army officer, found this rocky escarpment which from several angles resembled the face of a skull (Golgotha in Aramaic). This is how the place looks today…and this is how it looked 130 years ago.
Many have come to believe that this could be the site of the crucifixion, burial and resurrection of Jesus because it so clearly fits the description provided by the writers of the New Testament:
- Outside the city walls of Jerusalem and near a gate of the city
- A place of public execution along a busy thoroughfare – this was the main road to Damascus.
- At the place of the skull – Golgotha
- A garden nearby – an ancient wine press and cistern that were found here are cited as evidence that the area had once been a garden and was belong to a rich person – some believe it was Joseph of Arimathe who gave his family Sepulchre, to bury Jesus.
Tomb of Jesus
Moreover, when General Gordon examined the Tomb that was found nearby, he found that it also match what is written in the New Testament:
- Hewn out of the rock and not in a natural cave (Mathew 27:60)
- Sealed with a rolling stone (Matthew 27:60)
- Entered through a low doorway
- Burial chamber situated to the right of the entrance (Mark 16:5)
- Near the tomb there is a place for several people to stand and pray (Luke 24: 1-3,10)
- There is a Window to the Tomb (John 20:5)
The Garden Tomb Jerusalem has become a popular place of pilgrimage among Protestants and Mormon leaders which have not formally committed to the identification, but considered this Garden Tomb as the most favored candidate site for the Crucifixion, buried and resurrection of Jesus (Opposite to the believe that the site of the Crucifixion is the Church of the Holy Sepulchre). An today we can see individual as well of Groups of pilgrims coming to visit and meditate in this wonderful place.
That is for today and until we meet again in my next video, Let’s All Live the Jerusalem Experience!
thank u for this video
Am happy for this video . I wish one i can visit but unfortunately I don’t have enough money .
I am Siyamcela Sandlana from South Africa , Eastern Cape . A Christian
Dear Siyamcela Sandlana.
I invite you to watch ALL of our videos so you could feel as if you are in Jerusalem.
Thank you, Eran, for your ministry. We need it more today than ever.
God is using your ministry to set our eyes on the Holy Land although we can’t be there physically.
Be blessed and stay safe.